Card – Fuchsia Tea Cosy
Detail from a tea cosy c. 1900 by Ann Macbeth (1875-1948)
A student at the Glasgow School of Art from 1897-1901. In 1909 she was appointed Assistant Mistress in the Design and Decorative Art Section, teaching courses in needlework, embroidery and applique. She continued to teach in the School until her retirement in 1929.
The Glasgow School of Art was founded in 1845. Charles Rennie Mackintosh won a competition in 1896 to design the new building for the Glasgow School of Art. Today, over 100 years later, the Glasgow School of Art is still a hardworking art school attracting talented students from all over the world. This textile illustration has been selected from the School's extraordinary archive collection, which includes work from Mackintosh and his contemporaries to modern-day artists, designers and architects.